2 Nephi 22: 2,3

Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation. Therefore, with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

Monday, February 14, 2011

February 14, 2011 Water and Coca Cola


Hey everyone!


Well this week was really interesting and pretty tough too so I have a few things to talk about.


Elder Moreira da Silva is awesome! He´s pretty quiet but we get along really well and we haven´t had any problems so far. I´m so grateful. I found out his whole name this week and you will not believe it. Are you ready? Richard Nikson Moreira da Silva! That´s right, he´s named after Richard Nixon! His dad heard it on the radio and didn´t know how to spell it as you can see from the use of 'ks' instead of 'x'. But seriously I love his name and he is a great companion.


Other big news! During district meeting last week Elder Vidmar said, "There has been a little rule change. We can drink Coca-Cola now." I almost fell out of my chair! I was plain giddy. It has been almost 8 months that I haven´t had a coke. I would have run to the market after the meeting but our money wasn´t deposited on time so we had to wait a few days to buy it. Man it was so good when I finally drank the sweet nectar of life which is Coca-Cola.


Speaking of liquid refreshment, we had a mini-draught in our neighborhood last week. We went three days without water so we didn't have anything to drink and we couldn´t take showers for a little bit. It was pretty gross. I also had to do some laundry while we didn´t have water so I used bleach on my shirts. One of them turned pink, then yellow, then white again. I guess some pretty interesting reactions were going on with my sweat, sun screen, and the bleach. When the water finally came back our electricty went out so I guess we have to count our blessings. Both are back now so all is well.


We had zone conference this week too. Pres. Jackson talked about our divine potential. It was pretty interesting. He said that the first step is to understand our relationship with God, then create the right environment, then serve. It was great. We also watched "The District 2". The District is a movie that the church produced which is pretty much 'The Real World' missionary-style. It is actually really entertaining but I think only missionaries would get some of the stuff that happens. Normal people would watch it and just think it´s weird.


Well, Valdo is still the man, but... we found out he and Janete aren´t really married so they can´t be baptized quite yet and with the new mission focus on families we can´t baptize their daughter Monica until we baptize them first. It stinks but there isn´t really anything we can do right now. They are going to the Cartorio this week to mark a date. They are still elects. They have started saying 'our church' so it´s pretty much a given that they will be baptized. I just hope that things work out so that they can be baptized before I get transferred which could be in three weeks.


Last night we had a really awesome Family Home Evening with a group of members and Valdo´s family. We watched "Together Forever" then played a bunch of games. Cake-time afterwards.


So yeah, that´s the week. It was pretty hard but had it´s funny stories and the everyday miracles that happen here in the mission field. I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine´s day, I´ll have to wait a few months until the day of boyfriends & girlfriends here in Brasil, not that I have anything to really wait for :P. Love you all!


Elder MacLane Taggart

--

No comments:

Post a Comment