2 Nephi 22: 2,3

Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation. Therefore, with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

Monday, January 17, 2011

January 17, 2011 Another Day in the Life of a Missionary


Well Hi There!

Well this week really flew by. We´re working so hard here in Parelheiros that I crash into bed at night and have been really bad in my journal writing. I usually get my ideas for this weekly email from my journal so sorry if this week´s is a little incomplete.

We started this past week with interviews with Pres. Jackson. It was great and really gave me a boost. He talked to me about the source of confidence as a missionary which is obedience, cleanliness, unity, and diligence. They had us write goals for the new year and the instructions were really unclear so when I talked to the President about them we both laughed a little and talked about how to set edifying goals. Pres. Jackson is really an amazing servant of The Lord. He really helps and inspires me. He´ll be ending his mission in June so I only have a little bit more time before everything here changes.

This week started off really difficult. It seems like all of our visits fell through but it opened up an opportunity to do some service. Valdo is a new investigator and he called us and said he couldn´t visit with us because he is moving. When our appointments fell through we headed to his house and helped him move and it really built his confidence in us. Serving is an amazing way to get people to trust you.

We had kind of a downer event happen this week too. Mileide is a woman who was baptized about a year ago and she has a leadership calling in the ward and everyone is friends with her, especially my companion E. Alves de Oliveira. She´s been missing church lately so we visited her. She started, "I don´t know how to say this... I don´t want to be Mormon anymore." It was such a blow. Elder Oliveira cried and he spent an hour trying to convince her to come back but she is a strong black woman and when she makes a decision it´s pretty much final. In the end I realized she doesn´t have a testimony in the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith so I marked the Joseph Smith History in the Pearl of Great Price and told her to read it and seriously pray to know if it´s true. I hope it helps.

One of our new investigators Emerson is great. He is a young 18-year-old who is really interested. He has trouble reading with us because he has a lipst and gets way shy. His dog is way funny and wears sunglasses and a funny hairband.

This Sunday we got a great reference. Katia is an investigator that has a lot of time with the missionaries now. She lives with a member (not married) and has a problem smoking so she can´t be baptized right now but she brought her son to church this week and told us she wants us to teach him. His name is Philipe and he´s 18. We visited them last night and it looks like things might move really quickly with him. Katia really wants him to be baptized and wants us to visit them everyday of the week til he is! haha!

That´s the week! Hope you enjoyed it! Love you all!

Elder MacLane Taggart

No comments:

Post a Comment